Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World
A course from the University of Michigan. As of 2020-09-02, it is no longer available from Coursera, and I don't see a replacement.
I didn't always agree with Rabkin's analyses, but he usually had an interesting point of view, and the reading list gave a good opportunity to experience a variety of literature.
- Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There
- Nathaniel Hawthorne: Rappaccini's Daughter, The Birth-Mark, The Artist of the Beautiful, Dr. Heidegger's Experiment
- Poe: "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Black Cat," "The Oval Portrait," "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar," The Bells, "The Raven," "Annabel Lee."
- H. G. Wells: The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man, The Country of the Blind, "The Star"
- A Princess of Mars
- The Martian Chronicles
- The Left Hand of Darkness
- Little Brother